Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 15: Spaghetti

Breakfast: omelette with proscuitto, bananas and strawberries, coffee with coconut milk (I did come across a way to make dairy-free, sugar-free creamer - may try that later this week).

Lunch: apple with almond butter, salad with mixed greens, hb eggs and peppers with balsamic vinaigrette

Snack - almonds, sweet potato chips with salsa

Dinner - I decided it was time to try to something new. I've always heard about spaghetti squash and how it looks like pasta, but I was always skeptical. I decided now was as good a time as any to try it out. I went to Sprouts yesterday, then googled cooking instructions today and voila!

I was actually very surprised and pleased with how similar it was to real spaghetti. All you have to do it wash the outside, cut it in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds then roast for 30-40 minutes (rind side up) at 375. Then use a fork to pull the flesh out, and it comes out in strings/strands similar to pasta.

We went a traditional route and topped our squash with a tomato meat sauce (1 can tomato sauce, 1 lb super lean ground beef, oregano, fresh garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste).

Salad was mixed greens with carrots, red pepper, hb egg and dressed with oil & vinegar.

Russ said he would definitely eat this again, even after our whole 30 is done, and I agree. I also think the squash can be worked into other dishes that normally use pasta.







1 comment:

  1. You can also use zucchini squash. Just use a paring tool or thinly slice it. I bought a Veggeti. cook in a bit of olive oil until tender. Shrinks a lot, so use 3x what you think you will need. Really good though.

    ReplyDelete