Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wrap-Up and Weigh-In

Our goals:
1) Reset our way of eating and seeing food
2) Russ wanted to get a jumpstart on losing 15-20lbs, I wanted to lose 3-5 lbs, but my main focus was on eliminating the junk
3) Meet the challenge of the strict diet without having to eat the same thing every day (try new recipes, new foods, new ways of preparing old dishes)

Things we learned along the way:
1) We don't consistently look at food as fuel for our bodies (Even though we should and hopefully will moving forward). Instead, we've seen it as more of an experience and even sometimes a comfort (at the end of a long day, eating ice cream after dinner not because we're still hungry - just because it can be a comfort). Same thing with me drinking a Coke every afternoon - I was seeing that as a way to get through the afternoon (especially if it was a long afternoon with kids skipping naps, etc.).
2) Eating well (lean meats, lots of vegetables and fruit, nuts and eggs, no preservatives) really makes us feel better. Russ said he sleeps better and we both noticed a difference in our energy levels throughout the day.
3) Like I've said from Day 1, planning is the key. Finding new staples that you like (for us it was sweet potatoes, roasted carrots, apples, almonds) is helpful. I hope to keep meal-planning the way I did over the last 30 days (planning and shopping ahead) - it really made things easier.

4) If I can successfully complete the Whole 30, ANYONE CAN. I am the junkiest of junk food junkies (ask my family or my husband). There were a lot of temptations along the way, but I love a particular quote from the whole9life website, referring to the Whole30, when it says something like "Breaking a heroine addiction is hard. Drinking your coffee black for 30 days is not hard." If you can keep that mindset, it's easier than you think.
Tips:
1) Even though I felt like a broken record typing "egg casserole" for breakfast almost every day, the casseroles were a lifesaver. Our mornings are kind of nuts with getting our kids fed, Russ out the door for work, and getting our day going. Knowing that the casserole just had to be microwaved for about 30 seconds and paired with fruit made things super simple.
2) Find approved foods that help with temptations/cravings. For us, it was sweet potato chips and plantain chips with salsa, frozen blueberries, and the occasional pudding/ice cream made from frozen bananas, cocoa powder, and coconut milk.
3) Anything you can prep ahead of time is helpful (chop vegetables, grill meat for lunches, soup, brown ground turkey or beef)

Weigh-in:
Russ lost 17 lbs, I lost 7. We think some of that weight might come back as we're adjusting to what real-life eating looks like, but we're both in an ideal weight window, so we're hoping to maintain it.

Moving forward:
1) We aren't ready to take the plunge back into our old eating habits. At the same time, the strict Whole30 diet isn't going to cut it in real life, either.
2) Our plan is to transition to clean eating (lean meats/protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains and some dairy). Basically incorporating the healthiest options of each food group back into our diet. I plan to sit down on Sunday and plan out what that looks like.
3) The ideal situation would be 3 meals, 2 snacks, all incorporating protein, fruit and/or vegetable, and whole grain. We want to see food more as fuel than as entertainment, comfort or convenience.
4) THAT BEING SAID... this is not going to be an obsession for our family. It will hopefully become routine, but because food is often a part of get-togethers with our friends, celebrations and date nights, and life is short, we are still going to have the occasional cupcake, take the occasional family trip to Chick-fil-a, and eat the occasional pizza. I'm still going to bake cookies with my kids and I'll probably have a Coke every once in a while (maybe just on weekends or for special occasions). But treats will hopefully be outweighed by healthy, clean eating the rest of the time.
Ultimately, our goal as individuals and as a couple is serving Jesus Christ with our lives - loving our children, our families and our friends well, helping those in need, and using the gifts God has given us. Our desire is that every area of our lives point back to God and make Him more famous. I believe that we honor Him by eating well and taking care of the bodies He gave us, but I also know that my time, talents and treasure shouldn't revolve around what I'm eating.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!! SOOOOO proud of y'all for doing this! What a great testimony to truly refocusing our "comforts" to the desire to honor Christ with how we choose to live every area of our life! Inspiring, challenging, convicting for sure! Aaron mentioned in passing about two weeks ago that he wanted to talk about trying this and I IMMEDIATELY shut him down. Now I'm thinking about at least looking in to it! Thanks for documenting all of this, including what y'all actually ate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you posted this a while ago, but I just came across it today. I am curious (as I am also nearing the end of my Whole30 journey) how did you transition your family back after the 30 days were over? Did you re-introduce things all at one, or over time? Thank you for documenting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Therese! Sorry to just now respond. Our kiddos were pretty young when we did this, so their diet was barely affected. I was desperate for real coffee creamer, so I reintroduced dairy first, in small increments. I realized I "needed" a lot less than I did before doing the whole 30. My husband actually stuck with the whole 30 diet for a while longer, but we are a year and a half away from finishing it and mostly just strive for a balance of food groups these days. I think we re-introduced as the opportunities came up and it made sense. Hope that helps!

      Delete