Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 19: Don't Put Raisins in Your Coffee




So, first off, quick update. I tried my homemade dairy-free, sugar-free coffee creamer this morning (the one I made yesterday with the experimental raisin paste/syrup). While the raisin paste served as a great sweetener for the barbecue sauce, it did something awful to the flavor of my coffee this morning. I barely managed two sips (the second was purely out of hope that I misunderstood the first), but indeed, it was the worst coffee I've ever had. Hands down. Back to coffee with unsweetened coconut milk for me. I may try date paste/syrup later on (since that is what was recommended on the website with the recipe). We'll see.


Breakfast: egg casserole with chicken apple sausage and mushrooms. Coffee with coconut milk.


Lunch: left over pecan-crusted chicken, green beans and roasted sweet potatoes.


Snack: frozen blueberries with coconut milk


Dinner: grilled hamburger patties (seasoned with salt and pepper) with caramelized onions and mushrooms (spicy brown mustard for dipping), roasted broccoli (sprinkled with lemon juice, salt and pepper), sweet potato oven fries with salsa.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Amy- sorry the raisins didn't work! That sounds like something I would do. I have loved the date creamer recipe. It is so good. And I would agree that dried fruits are pretty unappealing. Sprouts should have dates in the bulk section. I didn't look at the recipe closely and wound up using a cup of dates and a cup of almost boiling water in my blender, plus the whole can of coconut milk (the stuff in the carton won't cut it.) I added cinnamon. It was delcious. It does wind up being really really sweet which seems like cheating but it is a nice little treat and I find I often can't drink the whole cup anyway- maybe it is the added fiber. :) This week I tried one with cocoa and peppermint extract. Not bad but I think I prefer the first batch.

    ReplyDelete