Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 22: It Was An Experiment


So, we've really enjoyed plantain chips with salsa over the last couple of weeks, so I decided to try to see what other plantain options would be. Last night I read about "aranitas" (which I think translates to "little spider), and they are traditionally fried bunches of shredded plantain. I was thinking they would be like hashbrowns (sort of). I didn't want to fry them, so I decided to try to oven-fry them, using just a little bit of olive oil.

They shredded beautifully in the food processor and looked like they were going to pan out. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the finished product ranked just above inedible. Maybe they were overcooked, maybe they were just a bad idea (but would have been really good fried!). Regardless, they won't be a repeat. But we may roast or grill some plantains as an alternative soon.

Breakfast: egg casserole with mushrooms and proscuitto, banana, coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon

Lunch: Leftover spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, ground turkey, and sauteed vegetables

Snack: apple with almond butter

Dinner: Crock-pot taco roast on mixed greens with avocado, plantain "aranitas" with salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment