Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 17: Pecan-Crusted Chicken

Breakfast: egg casserole with chicken apple sausage and mushrooms, banana and coffee with cinnamon and coconut milk



Lunch: Remember the pot roast from last night that I said lacked flavor? It was repurposed. Taco salad - mixed baby greens, avocado, shredded beef, crumbled plantain chips dressed with salsa and fresh lime juice.




Dinner: We've had a bag of pecans sitting in the freezer since before Christmas. Normally I would make spiced pecans or something like that for salads, but that requires some sort of added sweetener and/or butter (at least my recipes do).


So today I decided to try Pecan-crusted Chicken, and it turned out really good. Russ said it's a keeper. We had it with roasted sweet potatoes and steamed green beans.


To make the chicken, I put about 1.5 cups of pecans in the food processor with salt, pepper and orange zest(trust me on the orange zest - I was skeptical, but it definitely adds . I scrambled an egg and mixed in a little coconut milk. I used two large chicken breasts and basically butterflied them, but ended up with four separate pieces(you could also pound it out to get it thin). I dipped the chicken in the egg mixture, then in the pecans (and sort of had to pat the pecans into the meat). Then I seared them on each side in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and transferred them to the oven to cook at 350 for about 30 minutes. I cooked them on a rack in a roasting pan to try to get all sides crispy.


No comments:

Post a Comment