Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 9: Old Habits Die Hard

Part of the reason we're doing the Whole 30 is to pinpoint bad habits and figure out ways to change them. Today was the most "normal" day since we started the Whole 30 last week, meaning, I wasn't just home with the kids all day. It was a day of running errands, doctor appointments, to-do lists, etc. And it definitely was a day that brought out my tendencies toward bad eating habits.

1) While making my son's lunch for MDO (which included a pb&honey), I realized I typically make one for myself to eat for breakfast on my way to drop him off. Or I grab a pack of peanut butter crackers. It's quick, it's easy, I like it, and it doesn't take much thought at all. Instead of doing that, I actually had to put thought into my breakfast and take extra time to sit and eat it. And it was hard.

2) While I was out running errands with our baby, I got super hungry. I hadn't thought to throw healthy snacks in the car. Normally I would just pick something up somewhere to save time, but that wasn't an option today. And it was frustrating. Not because I couldn't have a bagel or smoothie, but because it was changing my plans for the day.

Eating well takes time, planning, and commitment. I'm banking on that getting easier with practice. We'll see. :)

Breakfast: proscuitto and mushroom egg casserole, 1/2 banana, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: Taco soup (same as yesterday)

Snack: apple, mixed nuts (not peanuts)

Dinner: Similar recipe to last week - the crockpot taco meat - but this time I used pork, served on seasoned cauliflower rice with avocado, and sweet potato oven chips and salsa on the side.

After dinner: frozen blueberries with coconut milk


As a side note, I figure by the end of our Whole 30 challenge, I will have perfected a sweet potato oven chip/fry recipe. Tonight I baked them at 375 on convection for about 40 minutes, turning once, and they turned out pretty well. Seasoned with garlic salt, cayenne pepper and a little olive oil.




1 comment:

  1. I am on Day 8 of my Whole 30 adventure. I am looking forward to trying your Sweet Potato Oven Fry recipe this week! Thanks for the help :)

    ReplyDelete